What To Do When You're Stuck
Am I the Only One whose ever felt stuck? Like, your "making moves" but you feel like your not going anywhere? Well friends, that's me. Like, right now! This week was especially hard for me. I didn't get an opportunity, that I literally felt was made for me. Feelings of disappointment, sadness, and frustration consumed me. I won't lie, this had me in a slump the entire week. I'm just now, trying to get back to myself!
Here are some ways that I'm trying to bounce back ...
1. MOVE ON - This the hardest thing for me to do! When it comes to my craft, nothing sticks with me like rejection. I take it so personal, like its an attack on my character. But holding on to a closed door, won't get you anywhere. Yes, take you a day or two. But you have to push past it!
2. Go back to the drawing board - This also was hard for me. I'm the type of person who plans their life to the T. So starting over, and finding a new route, is honestly devastating for me.
I like to get it right the first time. But, like the old heads say "Its more than one way to skin a cat".
3. Be Grateful - Sometimes we can be so focused on one thing that we lose sight on all the good we have going on. I needed to refocus my energy back to my current projects and works. And maybe this was God way of telling me that I'm not ready yet, or that it wasn't as perfect as I thought it was. Either way, I need to stop crying over spilled milk.
Friends this is how I'm getting through my slump, hopefully this helps you too!
Am I The Only One who hates feeling stuck? I absolutely hate it. I'm someone who went from constantly making major accomplishments throughout my life to now feeling like I'm coasting - it's been rough. I went from joining a sorority, graduating college, finishing graduate school and then work. Then more work, followed by more work.
I knew that there had to be more out of life so I started launching my own projects like AITOO, my business The Detroit Riot and looking for different ways to get involved with the community like mentoring programs, volunteering etc. Still, none of them made up for me not feeling like I was excelling in the workplace. I had to do some reflecting and now I work on reminding myself these things everyday:
1. Be Patient. Oprah wasn't built in a day. If you keep working at whatever you are passionate about, something will eventually change. Whether it's your main job or your side hustles, keep working at it. Where there is work, there will be results.
2. Stay Focused. That means staying off of social media. I'll say it again, stay off of social media. It can be hard to disconnect when you are working on building a brand. In November, I deleted all of my social media apps for a week and it was then that I realized how much time I actually spend on my phone. Since then I've been more mindful of when I should actually be using my phone and when I need to remain focused. How can you focus on what it is that you need to accomplish if your constantly watching everyone else anyway?
3. Get Help. It's okay, to not be okay. Feeling stuck can be hard to deal with mentally. Talk to someone about what's on your mind whether it's your significant other, best friend or even a therapist. Talking to someone will not only give you relief but your confidant may also be able to provide you with advice that can help you get out of your rut.
Friends, I'm still trying to convince myself of the above everyday. I'm not there yet, either. However, acknowledging what you need is the first step and any progress is some progress.
How do you get yourself out of a rut?